Friday, January 15, 2010

Ava Grace


12-16-09


6lbs 20z


18in long


Well it's been about 4 weeks since the birth of our sweet little Ava. Ellie is out on a play date, the baby is sound asleep and I've finally found some time to post a blog! I realize that most of you that read my sporadic blogging have already heard the details of labor and delivery, but I thought I would review for those of you who haven't.



When I went in for my 38 week checkup on Dec 16th at 3pm I was dilated to a 4. Ava's heart rate was a little low and because of this and a handful of other reasons the Dr. decided it would be best to break my water and get the baby out a.s.a.p. Although I was hoping she would come early I found myself in a state of shock as the Dr. sent me downstairs to check in for labor and delivery. After having a slight meltdown (hey I was entitled to a few being almost 9months prego), I called my mom and sister to come get Ellie and sent Kyle home to pack us a hospital bag.




I had tested positive for the strep culture, so right after I was admitted they started my first dose of penicillin. 2 hours later at 6pm Kyle was back and the Dr. broke my water. He was hopeful that I would deliver before midnight. My contractions started to become more regular and I planned on getting an epidural at 8pm. Labor pains began to intensify rapidly and by 7:30pm I knew I was going to need the epidural sooner. Kyle called the nurse as I curled up in a ball feeling like I was going to die. Before I knew it the Nurse was calling through the intercom "We are having a baby!" and frantically struggling to get her gloves on. By 7:41pm I heard the first cry of a perfect baby girl! All I can say is wow that was painful, but luckily it was insanely quick too! I have a knew respect for those of you who choose to go all natural: )




We are doing great! Ava is so sweet and beautiful! and Ellie loves being a big sister!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I had just about given up on you... as I was doing my monthly scroll through all the names on my friend list I got to your name and thought, "She hasn't posted since September...slacker...." but I thought, "Oh just in case let's see..." and what a sweet surprise!!! A new post- today!!! And of your brand new baby! Congratulations! Glad to hear it was quick and painless... or at least quick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! I couldn't even imagine going natural, Good Job!! =) she is beautiful congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful and you are beautiful and I am so glad I got to see you this weekend. I cannot believe how fast that all went. And you are awesome for making it without an epidural! Who took those pics of Ava...were they professional because they are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so fun to see you too Brittany! I wish we could get together more often:( You just need to move to Utah. I actually took the pics of Ava. We got a fancy new camera this summer. I'm still an amatuer at using it, but it takes beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new sweet little baby! She is so beautiful and precious!! I'm glad that labor was so quick for you! I have to say too, that you looked so cute in that prego shot, seriously like a little ball under your shirt! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you "Don't Hate Comments" I thought I would finally leave one. My name is Gina. I know we haven't met and if we have, it was brief and at Christmas in a busy mall. I am hoping that my comment here on your blog isn't coming to you as a surprise. I told Kyle to tell you....hee hee.

    I am a friend of Kyle's from Nebraska. We were both missionaries there. That was ages ago.

    I have enjoyed reading about your family and seeing what Kyle has been up to since I last saw him. Who knows when that was really. . . . Seems like I ran into you guys at the Mall here in IF for a few Christmases, but it's been a while.

    Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that if I read it, I comment. I really dislike phantom blog stalkers who read and never say BOO when they do, because, well, I think it's just rude. If one has time to read, one should also have enough time to say HI, right? I think that is polite.

    You are welcome to come over to my place, and see who I am, along with my kids and what I do these days. Though you might not really care or be interested, which I would totally understand.

    I admit that I hunted your family down, because well, frankly, there are a few of us mission friends who wanted to know what happened to our Elder Fransen. We are wanting him to join Facebook. Hahha. Really, though, we just want to know how you are doing.

    Your little girls are so darling. And it's not mean to say I hate that you look so gorgeous after just having a baby, au natural? Is it?

    Until next time,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute pictures of Ava! My favorite are Ava in the suit case and the one where Ellie is holding Ava.

    ReplyDelete